Over a café con leche on a Spanish Island called Mallorca, a girlfriend of mine gave me this recipe. True story. As a serial offender for failure in the baking department, I was leery of a fool-proof bread recipe. Especially one that required almost no effort, no kneading, not even a bread pan! That’s my kinda bread I thought. Here is a simple, yummy & healthy homemade bread that will make you feel like a baking goddess!
- 4 cups (1 lb. 2 oz) all-purpose flour (wheat is best) (click HERE to purchase)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast (click HERE to purchase)
- 3- 1 or 1.5 qt glass bowls (VERY important to use glass) (click HERE to purchase)
- 1 small bowl
- 2 forks
- 2 tea towels (click HERE to purchase)
- Butter, Coconut or Olive Oil (click HERE to purchase)
1. Combine and whisk flour & salt in bowl
2. In the small bowl combine water & sugar and then sprinkle yeast on top. Do not mix or stir the yeast, just let it sit for 10-15 and become frothy/foamy.
3. After 10-15 minutes you can gently stir yeast mix and add it to the bowl of flour.
4-Mix well. Do NOT use your hands whatsoever! I got excited and dove right in. Its extremely wet and sticky and was a baaaaaaaad move.
5-Grease bowls #2 & #3 (with butter, coconut or olive oil) and use the forks to divide the dough and place them in. Then cover bowls with tea towels and let sit for 1.5-2 hours. Now you wait………
6-Yippie! It has risen!!!!!
Now use your forks to turn the dough into itself. Start outwards and scoop in into the middle and repeat until its a nice and creamy texture. Cover with tea towels and wait an additional 30 minutes for 2nd rise.
7-Now place in oven at 425* for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 375* for 22-25 minutes. Remove when golden brown and give 10 minutes before cutting & ENJOY!!!!!
For more delicious recipes click HERE
Recipe courtesy of Alexandra’s Kitchen