One rainy day I decided to treat my kiddies with some homemade hot chocolate. They had never had this before, so the very concept had them bouncing around the kitchen yelling “HOT CHOCOLATE!!!!”
I love introducing new things to them and food is no exception. Making our own not only allows me do something fun with my family but it means I get to control what goes into our drinks.
Homemade Healthy Hot Chocolate
By Krystle K
Not to be a Debbie Downer but have you read what’s in the store bought pre-made packages??
Here’s an example from Nestle’s brand:
Sugar, corn syrup solids, dairy product solids (from milk) cocoa processed with alkali, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated coconut or palm kernel and hydrogenated soybean), and less than 2% of sodium caseinate, cellulose gum, salt, sodium citrate, guar gum, artificial flavor, mono- and diglycerides and sucralose.
Additives, preservatives and chemicals…. I’ll help you keep things simple.
My recipe only contains 4 ingredients, you can pronounce them all, it’s easy to make, and it’s also dairy-free!
I have confessed before that I am not a natural in the kitchen and need fool-proof recipes, so you can trust me when I say “easy.”
- 3 cups Coconut Milk
- Raw Honey to taste ( I did a good 4 squeezes)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Raw Cacao Powder
- Bring coconut milk to a simmer on med-low
- Add pure vanilla extract
- Stir in cacao powder
- Squeeze away with the honey
- Serve and enjoy!
* If you aren’t counting calories or trying to avoid dairy, you can also add 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream to thicken it up
* An additional 1/4 cup of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips added before the sweetener will give you even more chocolate to enjoy
As you can see, it was a big hit with my girls and we have made it many times since!
Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Gluten, Dairy, nut & Soy Free
Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder