I probably would have done the same thing, glad I know what to do now!
By mizkirsten | wfla.com
A pregnant mom sucked her 4-year-old’s leg after he was bitten by a rattlesnake.
Jaclyn Caramazza is nine months pregnant. She and her son decided to go up to Mercy Folsom for a walk.
On their way back from a walk on the bike trail, Caramazza’s son Vinny accidentally stepped on a rattlesnake.
Caramazza looked at her son’s leg and saw two little puncture marks. Within minutes, the young boy’s ankle started to swell and turned purple.
The worried mom said that she didn’t know what to do, so she bent down and sucked the venom out.
Officials with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said that’s not what they recommend doing, and that Varamazza is lucky that the venom that she tried to suck out didn’t spread to her or her unborn son.
Vinny is also recovering from the bite.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offered this advice on what people should do if they are bitten by a rattlesnake or other venomous snake.
WHAT TO DO
1. Keep the person calm. Reassure them that bites can be effectively treated in an emergency room. Restrict movement, and keep the affected area below heart level to reduce the flow of venom.
2. If you have a pump suction device (such as that made by Sawyer), follow the manufacturer’s directions.
3. Remove any rings or constricting items, because the affected area may swell. Create a loose splint to help restrict movement of the area.
4. If the area of the bite begins to swell and change color, the snake was probably venomous.
5. Monitor the person’s vital signs — temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, and blood pressure — if possible. If there are signs of shock (such as paleness), lay the person flat, raise the feet about a foot, and cover the person with a blanket.
6. Get medical help right away.
7. Bring in the dead snake only if this can be done safely. Do not waste time hunting for the snake, and do not risk another bite if it is not easy to kill the snake. Be careful of the head when transporting it — a snake can actually bite for several hours after it’s dead (from a reflex).
Do NOT allow the person to become over-exerted. If necessary, carry the person to safety.Do NOT apply a tourniquet.Do NOT apply cold compresses to a snake bite.Do NOT cut into a snake bite with a knife or razor.Do NOT try to suck out the venom by mouth.Do NOT give the person stimulants or pain medications unless a doctor tells you to do so.Do NOT give the person anything by mouth.Do NOT raise the site of the bite above the level of the person’s heart.
WHEN TO GET MEDICAL ATTENTION
Call 911 or your local emergency number if someone has been bitten by a snake. If possible, call ahead to the emergency room so that antivenom can be ready when the person arrives.
(Source: U.S. National Library of Medicine)