I’m pretty sure teething is my LEAST favorite thing about mommyhood.
My girls teeth like the dickens! It’s an all-out ordeal in our house. High fever, rash, loss of appetite, long nights, and lots of crankiness! The first time my eldest daughter cut teeth I thought she was deathly ill! I’m not even kidding. 103 fever along with all of the things I listed above. I was in the car on the way to the ER when at the last minute I decided to try a walk-in clinic just in case I was over reacting. Shortly after, 4 teeth popped up and it ALL made sense. So here’s my awesome list of natural & safe ways to take care of your little ones and those sore gums! Hope you find this helpful. I seriously WISH I had had this one-stop page when we went through our first batch of chompers! -Krystle K
- Hylands Teething Tablets: #1 infant oral pain reliever in America! All natural, easily dissolve and work quickly (to read more about Hylands and where to buy them, click HERE)
- Boiron Camilia Teething Relief: This is a great homeopathic for treating irritability and relieving minor digestive disorders that can coincide with teething (to read more about Camilia and where to buy it, click HERE)
- Gum-omlie Oil: An almond based blend useful for teething and toothaches that contains Clove oil which many dentists still use in their practices as an effective analgesic (to read more, click HERE)
- Amber Jewelry: pain relief, fights inflammation & immune building (to read more about Amber and where to buy it, click HERE)
- Chewelry: AKA chewable jewelry, not only a lovely accessory for mommy but also a teether for baby! Food-safe, federally approved, non-toxic, non-latex, lead-free, pthalate/BPA/PVC free, dishwasher safe silicon
- Wooden Teething Toys and Rings: natural, durable, germ repellent & contain non-irritating ingredients (to read more about Wooden Toys and where to buy them, click HERE)
- Razbaby RaZberry Teether: My kids GO TO TOWN gnawing on this bad boy. This bumpy teether is a great way for them to muscle out some of their pain (to read more about Razbaby and where to buy it, click HERE)
- Frozen Washcloths: easy, no clean up and your baby will think its an awesome toy
- Frozen Pineapple: anti-inflammatory and the ascorbic acid found in pineapples are said to help soften the tissue of the gums where the tooth is erupting and allow it to break through faster
For Treating Fevers
Fever are the bodies natural response to sickness. When monitored correctly and left to do its job it can not only kill off infection but strengthen the bodies immune response to illness. Fever suppressants like Tylenol lower the bodies ability to fight and weaken the immune system.The role of a fever is to literally kill the bacteria and viruses that are causing the system distress. Bacterial and viral proteins die off at different temperatures, bacteria at below 40°C (usually 38 – 39.5) and viruses at over 40°C, usually 40-41ºC}
- GOOT: Garlic olive oil treatment (Click HERE to watch our DIY video on GOOT). Put paste on the bottom of the feet and cover with sox.
- Tepid baths are a great fast way to help bring down a child’s fever. Not cold but cool.
- Calcium Lactate: Calcium Lactate actually helps make the fever more effective. Fevers draw calcium out of the body and cause that “achy” feeling. Using this will help the fever progress through your body more quickly.
- Homeopathy – Belladonna & Pulsatilla are 2 of the most common homeopathic remedies that are used for fevers with great success (to read more about Homeopathy and where to buy the ones listed, click HERE)
- Organic Decaf Peppermint Tea: I let it chill, dilute it and give it in a sippy cup. It is also great to add to a tepid bath (to read more about Peppermint Tea and where to buy it, click HERE)
- Essential Oils : Lavender, thyme, rosemary, eucalyptus, and sage essential oils provide comfort when treating fevers. They are also known to help support the work of the immune system to support the body’s natural defenses. For example, apply a few drops of lavender essential oils in cool water and soak a washcloth in the solution to wipe a child’s forehead for a cooling, relaxing effect. (to read more about Essential Oils and where to buy them, click HERE)
For Treating Rashes
- Organic Coconut or Olive Oil: Both are natural, safe and EXTREMELY powerful and protective. I ONLY use Olive Oil on my girls from birth in lieu of diaper cream and baby lotion. Its magic! (to read more about organic oils and where to buy them, click HERE)
- California Baby Non-Burning Rash Wash: Only plant-based ingredients, non-irritating, safe and gentle for even the most sensitive skin, speeds the healing of diaper rash; protects against future rashes. (to read more about California Baby Baby Non-Burning Rash Wash and where to buy it, click HERE)
- California Baby Rash Cream: If the rash gets NASTY and I think that something with a thicker consistency is needed I use this (to read more about California Baby Rash Cream and where to buy it, click HERE)
- Diaper-free time: Give that bum some oxygen and let it breathe.
For more natural remedies click HERE
*Feature image source