I have a dear friend who’s baby died from a kiss as well. So incredibly sad. Every new mom needs to know this.
Please share to get the word out about protecting new babies from this!
Originally Published on practicallyviral.com
This couple’s newborn baby died a few days after they brought her home from a virus infection that could have been prevented. The worst part of this story is that the virus was transmitted by a kiss!
The baby had been at home for a couple days when she began to lose her appetite. Her mother, Sarah, rushed her to the hospital where the doctors confirmed she had contracted herpes simplex, the virus that causes cold sores.
The virus is common to adults, but babies are can be more vulnerable to it and can cause complications. She developed a staph infection as a result of the virus and she passed away in her mother’s arms days later.
It’s not uncommon for babies to contract the herpes virus, but it’s rare for a baby to die from it. According to Obstetrician Dr. Gino Pecoraro, “This is one of those many occasions where prevention really is the only cure.” He cautions people with cold sores to cover it with a band aid and avoid kissing young children or babies.
Sarah told 7 News in Australia, “We were pretty…I was pretty shocked that a cold sore had done this. Be really careful and just make sure people don’t kiss them or touch them, and yeah just make sure you wash your hands continuously.”