I have been asked by our fans to share my hospital birth plan after I referred to it in our SNAPtv Episode, “Why I’m Having a Home Birth…and Why I am Definitely Not”. (watch here)
I have *most* of the following approved by my doctors and midwives. Some of them are more excited about it than others! Lol. I will also have a sign on my hospital door that says…
Hello! My name is Whitney. I am in the midst of a natural birth.
You are about to enter sacred space, so please read the following before you enter:
- Do not enter unless you have read my birth plan (at the nurses station)
- Please speak softly
My Natural Hospital Birth Plan
Before Labor Begins
● As long as the baby and I are healthy, I would like to go at least 10 to 14 days over my due date before
● During a vaginal exam, I prefer at no time to have my membranes broken unless there is an emergency
● I prefer minimal internal vaginal exams or at my request only.
● If I am less than four centimeters dilated, I would like to discuss with my healthcare provider the option of going
● As long as the baby and I are healthy, I would like to have no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy.
● I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible.
● I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth
before deviating from my plan.
● If NST observation becomes necessary after my due date, I am flexible and support this procedure.
● If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.
● I prefer to have no vaginal exams until I go into labor.
● Breast stimulation
● Sexual intercourse
wait 12 hours before being induced
● Upon arrival at the hospital, I prefer to have my partner with me at all times.
● Please, no residents or students attending my birth.
● I would like for people entering the room to speak softly.
● I would like to play music.
● I would like no one to speak during the actual delivery.
● I would like to wear my own clothes during labor and delivery.
● I would like to be reminded to remove my clothing during the actual delivery.
● I would like to have my birth photographed.
● I would like to have my birth filmed/videotaped.
*Please only offer pain medications if I ask for them.*
● Breathing techniques
● Ideally, I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish while in labor.
● I would like to feel unrestricted in accessing any sounds of chanting, grunting, or moaning during labor.
● Please always keep my door closed while I am in labor.
Intermittently monitored to allow for as much mobility as possible
Second Stage Labor
*As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.*
● Standing upright
● Side Lying
● Whatever feels right at the time
I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless I’m having a medical emergency)
● If I need an episiotomy, I prefer a pressure episiotomy.
● Apply hot compresses
● Apply oil
● Use perineal massage
● Encourage me to breathe properly for slower crowning.
● If possible, please allow the shoulders and body of my baby to be born spontaneously, on their own.
● Please use a local anesthetic for repairs.
● No stirrups please unless I’m having a medical emergency
● I would like my husband to catch my baby.
● I would like for our baby to hear our voices first.
● I prefer to have the lights dimmed for delivery or, if it is daylight, to access only natural light.
(It’s important to me to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how or when to push.)
● As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a
warm blanket over him.
● Please do not separate me and my baby until after my baby has successfully breastfed on both breasts.
● Please delay all essential routine procedures on my baby until after the bonding and breastfeeding period
● If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give my partner and me time alone to think about it before asking
for our written consent.
● I prefer a low transverse incision on my abdomen and uterus.
● Please respect my wishes to be quiet during the operation (e.g., avoiding \small talk\” with other practitioners
in the room).”
● If my baby is healthy, I would like to hold my baby and nurse it immediately in recovery.
● I would like to sign any waivers necessary to permit me to be with my baby in recovery.
● My partner is to be present at all times during the c-section.
● Ideally, I would like to remain conscious during the procedure.
● I would like the baby to be shown to me immediately after it’s born.
● I would like to have contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
● I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby.
● We would like to photograph or film the operation as the baby comes out.
Third Stage Labor
● Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped.
● Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord.
● I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or controlled traction
on the umbilical cord.
● I will be taking the placenta home.
● If the baby has any problems, I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times, if possible.
● I would like to have routine newborn procedures delayed until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred.● I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence.
Please do not administer eye drops to my baby, I am willing to sign a formal waiver if need be.
● I would like my baby to receive a routine injection of vitamin K immediately after birth.
I prefer any immunizations be postponed to a later time
● Please do not bathe my baby at all.
● We would like to give our baby his/her first bath using our own non-toxic baby products.
Please do not circumcise my baby.
We would like to wait, and delay the PKU testing until we are ready to leave the hospital
● My baby is to be exclusively breastfed.
● To have as much bodily contact with my baby as possible.
● I would like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible for further recommendations and guidance.
Full rooming in, no separation, no exceptions, unless my baby is sick.
My Hospital Stay
● I prefer a private room.
● I prefer to have my partner stay with me for the duration of my hospital stay.
● I would like my other children (regardless of age) to be allowed to visit with me for as long as they wish or as
long as hospital policy permits.
● I would like my guests to be permitted to stay as long as they wish.
Thank you so much for working with us! We are so appreciative of your cooperation. We are so excited to
welcome our son earth side and want to thank you for being a part of this beautiful process.
Whitney, Rei, and our birth team!